Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

I went down to San Jose as planned. Overall it was a good trip but not profitable.

I took a different route this time going over 88 instead of up to I-80 and down. There was not much traffic but it was a two lane mountain road so the pace was slower. According to map quest it is 30 min shorter but I am not convinced. Maybe it seemed longer because I could not gage my progress. There were many small towns along the way but they weren't big enough to make the map and there weren't any signs that said x miles to such and such town. I really looked at my compass and figured as long as I was heading west or south west I was going in the right direction. I got great directions from a gas station just before I was going to go in the wrong direction. I don't know what made me ask but I am glad I did. There were two other times I got lost and had to ask directions but didn't loose much time.

I check into the Fairfield in by Marriot for $79+tax a night and it was worth every penny. It was clean and quite and a short drive to the bay. I signed up for the rewards and plan on staying there when ever I go down. If you need a room in the area I fully recommend you stay there.

Now for poker. I played a few hours fri. night and went up and down a few hundred dollars before getting frustrated and playing bad a dropping a rack. Sat. I went down a rack in the morning and went back to the room for a nap. I am trying hard to get sleep and I know I am getting better but the new bed did not help. I felt better in the evening and won back my two racks and another to cover expenses. I was very happy as I went to bed thinking the next two days would be profit and any amount would be good.

Well that didn't happen. First thing in the moring I couldn't sleep, and I did lay there for 3 hours trying, so I went down tired. I got into a very loose aggressive game and dropped 3 racks. I got up and walked away but the damage was done. I got in a nap and went back down to the same kind of game. I was up two racks for like 10 min and then started to loose it back. I was down a rack and 4/5ths of another when I changed tables. I only had enough for one more rack and I was busto. I came to terms with it and decided to play on.

Now before this weekend I figured out that my post flop play needed help and I started to look for my videos. I couldn't find them before I went down and in fact just found them this morning. As I was loosing I was watching the guys that were winning and tried to figure out what I was doing wrong. I did manage to figure out a few things that I will build on and it started to show.

I bought in for my last rack and finnally started to win. But more importantly I was keeping my winnings instead of giving them back. I managed to get back almost 3 racks before I had to leave. I could see results so I know I am on the right track.

With expenses the trip cost me two racks. I will continue to work on my game and stay local for a few weeks to rebuild my bankroll. If I run well or learn fast I could be back in one weekend but I am not going to force it.

No comments: