Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Chasing

I continue to read and re-read the upswing lab material.  I am still picking up little tid bits I missed the first time through while still filling in wholes in my poker understanding.  For example, chasing draws.  I was off on my odds for my draws.  This could be why I have roller coaster poker results.  A few sessions they come in and I will win big and the next few I miss and give it all back.

In case you are wandering, I am on a give it back cycle.  My bankroll is down to just over $100.  I tried doing some small tournaments to get a few hundred back quick but no luck. Did cash on a few free rolls for 4 to 8 cents but who cares. 

Dropped down to 20nl and put the new knowledge to use.  Chased less and changed up my betting.  Was able to double the bankroll from 50 to 100 but 20nl is tough with players dropping down and high rake.  I play 2 tables for 1 hour sessions and stop.  Most of the time I am up or down less then $10.  I am fighting the urge to re-deposit, as building a bankroll  at 20nl is slow.  Using it as a lesson in patience.

Tip.  Browsing through the training videos there aren't many to choose from at the micro stakes on the training site.  I turned to, Youtube, were there are more choices but suspect quality.  I also found many are zoom tables or have multiple small screens going.  It is hard to see and keep up with the action if you are really trying to learn. 

The best I have found for me, have been Doug Polk's bankroll challenge videos.  Some videos are tournaments but many are of him grinding out 20 and 50nl on WSOP.com.  He is multi tabling but he only puts 1 table up on the screen at a time so you can see and follow the action.  Although he does explain some of his thought process while he is playing, these videos aren't really training videos.  They allow you to watch what he does and figure out some things on your own without him spoon feeding everything to you. 

I am playing on WSOP.com so it is also a direct comparison to what I am seeing at the same stakes.  It is also without HUDs.  This takes away the crutches and make you draw on the material you are trying to learn.  Lastly, this is as close to live games you can get on the internet.  Playing live is my main goal once the pandemic is over, so this fits nicely into my plan.

  

No comments: