Thursday, March 13, 2008

Commerce

Made it to the Commerce last Tues. night. Pulled in around midnight and went to bed. The rooms were clean and quite. The room rate was $189 but if you talk to the floor they lower it to $139 without an issue. This is the same rate as the Doubletree which is down the road.

Overall it was a let down. Not because of the card room but because I built it up so much in my mind and it was just like my local card room but bigger. The games were just as loose and the players behaved the same. The jackpots were bigger but I didn't hit it. I did see Barry G playing mixed games and Chinese poker but nothing spectacular. Once I got over the excitement and fear that I wasn't as good as these players I settled down into my game. I found I was able to hold my own and I started to grind out some hands.

I played as much as I could and slept as little as I could, so it took until the last day to appreciate the benefits of the large room. I was playing mostly 9/18 and then 20/40. There were multiple games of the 9/18 with a seemingly endless list and mostly the same for the 20/40. If there wasn't a second game the list moved pretty fast and they kept the game full.

There were calling stations in both games but no maniacs throwing money away. I feel like I need to go back to give it a better review. I was so blinded by my expectations and excitement that I didn't get much out of it. The same can be said for when I go to Bay 101. I guess I need to get out more. Anyway, I have now been there and done that so the next time will be better.

As for LA, I didn't see much. My friend lived there so I thought he would play tour guide. Didn't happen. He kept saying that everything would take a whole day and he thought I wanted to play poker all day. I guess with more sleep I would have but he snores. We did make it out to eat twice. Once to Captain Jacks for crab and Chris n Pitts for bar-b-que. I had steamed crab at Captain Jacks and it was huge. Everything on the menu was huge. So if you go there be hungry. The same can be said for the bar-b-que. And they both had great food and I would go again.

I suck at reviews so I will now end my misery and your pain.

No comments: