Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ready to Play and Expectations

I was surfing the 2+2 web site and came across the October graphs. These guys are winning anywhere between 2k and 200k in a month. The fact that this is possible is the reason I keep trying and wine when I can't at least break even.

So after some soul searching I have come to a few conclusions that I am working on. I am trying to be ready to play poker. And by that I mean physically and mentally. Not playing if I am tired or just bored. Don't make dinner or talk on the phone when you are trying to play. You have to want to play and care about what you are doing. The mental part is where I think killed my bank roll. If you just got some bad news, are worried about something in life, or mad at something, poker is not what you do to take your mind off of things unless you drop way down on limits. Tilt will come quickly and easily and destroy your bank roll.

The second part is expectations. You have to ask yourself what you want out of poker. I was looking for the quick buck and it was there for a time. I still want to make money but now I am content with what comes. I have been playing micro stakes so I had to find enjoyment and satisfaction from winning because there wasn't much money. I think I now get the one big bet an hour and building your bankroll until you can move up. If you have a job and can build you bankroll faster fine, but you have to be careful that you are not fooling yourself by doing this.

I am doing these things on-line and will be taking a shot at live poker again next weekend down at the Bay 101. I am going to raid the savings account and play all weekend at 20/40 and lower if I am still loosing. I hope to make just enough to cover expenses but not loosing everything I take is ok too.

No comments: