Monday, November 12, 2007

The Little Details

My last post ended abruptly because I was still playing when I was writing and I almost lost it as I took another bad beat.

I took a break for an hour and then watched a Stoxpoker video. I was only half paying attention to what he was saying and just watched what he was doing. I got just as much out of looking for the things I wanted as listening to what he was saying. I started to pick up on some of my over aggression. I can see that I over C-bet and raise for information when it is the same price to call down. I know there is a time and place for these things but I'm getting it wrong too much and it is costly. I played for exactly 30 mins after the video and doubled my buy-in.

I didn't "get it" that quickly as much as I was running good. Flopping 3 of a kind out of the BB with Q4o is luck not skill. I did use some of my other ideas and saw them work. Thinking about them now, they are easy concepts that I know but putting them together while playing is were I need practice. I even took steps to find a coach. Besides pointing out what I am doing wrong I want to know if I am running bad or playing bad.

Unless I have a huge hole in my game that I don't see, I still think 75% of my problems are from running bad. I had dozens of hands this weekend were I was an 85% favorite and still lost. Either way I am determined to figure it out. If I suck at poker I can get better and if I am running bad, just knowing will help me get through it.

No comments: