Wednesday, June 27, 2018

7 Year Break

After 7 years I wasn't sure this blog was still here. I guess nothing really goes away on the internet. Vblogs are the new fad. That is one of the things that re-sparked my interest in poker, but I don't have the time to edit footage. Editing time is a common complaint on a few blogs I have seen. (Plug for Brad Owen and Andrew Neeme)

 I haven't spent much time playing poker during my break, maybe a session here and there when a friend came to town, but nothing serious. Stayed busy climbing the career ladder. Jobs came and went until I landed a dream job in Las Vegas, where I now live. Great pay, benefits, and work life balance does the bankroll good. But alas, new house and remodel costs does the bankroll bad. Hence, another reason to play poker again, extra money!

Extra money maybe the end goal, but just being a break even player is the first step. It finally sunk in that I am a losing poker player. I am the player you hope for when you play poker. Thinks he knows how to play, but ultimately loses all his money. I do enjoy playing and like the challenge it offers, so I keep trying. Taking some time now to scrape off the rust and re-think my game. Breaking out the old books and reading a few new ones. Watching the Vblogs for entertainment and also as mini training videos. They offer commentary about specific hands and how they think through their play and explain why they take the actions they do. Even if you don't agree with the action, you can get an idea how other players think through hands.

 So the plan is back to basic ABC poker and slowly apply higher principles. I also am paying more attention to my frame of mind when I play. Making sure I am rested, paying attention at the table, and not playing hands out of boredom. In an attempt to keep my losses small, I opened an account on WSOP poker and started hitting the 10/20 and 25/50 cent tables. Started with $100, ran it up to $260, then back down to $50. There is some variance in there but plenty of bad play to correct. I will keep you posted and we will see if I can reach break even.

No comments: